14 Jul 2012

Nightmares in a Damaged Brain - Lisa's Review

***SPOILERS ***

A little late with the review for this one, my apologies, just completed a relocation back to good old Norn Iron.

Soooo what to 'Nightmares in a damaged brain', well I enjoyed this one.  I can find quite a few faults if I want to be pedantic, but sometimes I like the general 'feel' of a movie and with this one I did.

Our basic storyline is a schizophrenic George Tatum being released from his secure unit due to the supposed success of some new experimental wonder drugs.  It is very clear however from the outset that George is far from cured.  He is obviously being released to commit all kinds of havoc.

The first signs our man is not all well (apart from the fact he's in a mental institution) is his recurring nightmare flashback.  He is obviously very disturbed by this each time he wakes.  As the story progresses we get to see more and more of the scene which gets progressively more gorey and disturbing.  With each 'vision' more havoc is wreaked by George.  I don't know why, but I kind of felt sorry for him.  Wierd I know, but there was something very human about him.

I think of all the wierd places, his humanity is exhibited by his visit to a peep show (on a side note, how interesting!  I had no idea how they worked and was amazed that men can see other men looking in at the same woman... you would think that would put them off). He seems like any man in these scenes and is almost gentle in his approach when the stripper approaches him and allows him to touch her.

The following of George, runs alongside a story of a family and their very odd young son, who has a bit of an obsession with blood and being a little sod.  They are being pestered by telephone calls and the mother is getting increasingly worried about it all.  I think it is meant to be a surprise, but this is Georges family and he is making his way to them all through the movie.  Now I'm not the quickest in the world cracking onto these things granted, but even I managed to grasp this one.

In the finale as George arrives at his family home (wearing a quite creepy mask and carrying a leathal looking ice-pick).  People die.  We also see the entire 'nightmare' played out and we can make full sense of the scene.

Sadly the effects are very poor and I think this movie would have been much better if it had of had a 'less is more' approach.  The blood was fine, but the texture of flesh and skin was all wrong, a beheading was almost laughable and is it even possible for hands to reach for the stump of a neck when the head has gone??    I did enjoy the axe to the head though.

Anyways, that aside.   I did like the movie, the ending and the feel.  I liked Georges character.  Very believable.  The 'like father, like son' angle was quite poignant too.

I am giving this one the 'Lisa Recommends' tag.  You could do worse than check this one out.



Please use the comments bellow only to comment on this post - to write your own review, please comment on the main post for this movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment