7 Jan 2012

The Evil Dead - Lisa's Review

***SPOILERS***

As I write the word spoilers at the top of this review, I wonder if indeed it is possible to 'spoil' anything here, as has any horror fan NOT seen this movie?

We follow a group of young teenagers into the woods and a shack where they discover a recording of a Necronomicon. Slowly they all become possessed and start to kill each other. Thats the basic plot folks and all you really need to know.



This is Sam Raimis first venture into the world of horror and its quite fitting that he makes his debut alongside Bruce Campbell who goes on to work with him in many many more projects in the future.

The Evil Dead is a favourite amongst most horror fans and although it is full of terrible (even laughable) effects which look exactly like a GCSE students plasticine project, the movie is still enjoyable on every level. I found the zombie makeup on some of the characters really good in saying that.... It does have genuine scary bits, fantastically gorey bits, laugh out loud funny bits, some great acting (which is novel for these movies) and just a general eerie feel that is missing in most movies these days. I don't know why but when I first saw The Evil Dead and when I watched it again for this review, it reminded me in style a lot of 'Texas Chainsaw Massacre' (one of my favourite movies). It manages to grab that feel and style sought after so much but usually missed by a mile, that feeling where you feel a little uncomfortable in places, but want to keep watching all the same.

I generally HATE comedy/horror mixes, but this one works. Weirdly the things that make it fall down (poor effects) also add to the charm of the movie and if they attempted to remake it (I hear nasty rumours about this being the case.. and no I don't mean Evil Dead 2), I don't think they could capture the same cult movie feel.

Scenes to watch out for are the possessed hand, the montage of melting plasticine figures, the dismemberment and twitching body parts, the white eyeballed and terribly face painted zombie lady under the trapdoor in the ground, spectacular hatchet kills, spewing severed limbs..... the list goes on and on.

In short, I definately recommend this to any horror fan. A must for the collection!








Please use the comments bellow only to comment on this post - to write your own review, please comment on the main post for this movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment