22 Jul 2012

Possession - Will's Review


I honestly have no idea what to say about this movie.

If asked what it's about I'd be forced to answer with concepts, rather than plot points; it's about duality, divorce, resentment, madness, betrayal; so many things that I could probably list them all day, and still later think of some that I missed!
Filmed in Berlin, with an international cast (including a young Sam Neil) by a polish director, it at times has the look of a French art house movie, at time it borders on German expressionism.

By rights it should be a mess; but despite being utterly unfathomable on the story front, it remains totally compelling.

If I had to compare it to anything, I'd say it was like Cronenberg and Lynch had re-worked Alien and Kramer vs Kramer into one movie.

Not a movie I can fairly describe, much less review, it is however one that I can recommend, as long as you can handle 2 hours of mind bending.

The opening credits, sadly, contain a spoiler; giving credit in large letters to something that we don't even see in the first hour or so of the movie, but when it does show up, it is very well done, and you can see why it warranted a place in the opening credits.

If you enjoyed Videodrome, Naked Lunch and Eraser Head, I'm sure you'll find something to enjoy here.

And suddenly: car chase.



Please use the comments bellow only to comment on this post - to write your own review, please comment on the main post for this movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment