1 Sept 2012

Tenebrae - Lisa's Review


*** SPOILERS ***

So another Dario Argento outing this week.  I know the guys is the recipient of much praise and is held in awe amongst many movie fans, but I find his movies full of pretentious drivel.  

It has been said that this movie could be seen as something of an autobiographical outing for Argento given the lead character Peter Neal is a murder mystery author who is seen to be something of a misogynist.   That sort of summed it up for me.  I felt the movie centered around the character of Neal to the detriment of everything else.  Many of the female characters seemed unnecessary and just cannon fodder.  The females who had any kind of role were just plain bloody irritating.   One reporter in particular who challenges  Neal with regards to his misogyny just needs a gag and a kick up the behind and sending on her way.

This movie may be more enjoyable on a second viewing as you are left spending most of your time watching the movie guessing whats going on, who could possibly have 'done it' and have countless possibilities presented to you.  To me, it seemed way too many sub stories were going on, including dream sequences, which you weren't really sure were actually dreams and had no idea who was having them.  This becomes clear as the movie reaches a conclusion, but it doesn't stop the irritation of it having no relevance throughout the movie.

I suppose the fact that I didn't care much about what was going on and who in fact was the murderer didn't help.  I just don't like Argento's style at all.  It all felt very self indulgent to me.  The murders were, for the most part, pretty tame and unbloody.  They do get a bit more what you would expect as the body count rises.  One death which is quite effective is the daughter of Neals landlord.  The lead up is very long and drawn out and she has gone through quite a horrendous experience, which included a chase from a rather irate doberman (the choice of vicious dog for the era).  It all culminates in a rather nasty death by axe.   I suppose I did feel a bit sorry for her after all that, but its about the only sympathetic emotion you got out of me during the movie.

Another big irritation with the movie is the bad dubbing and the absolutely awful script, which is made worse by the monotone delivery.  There seems to be no acting whatsoever in the execution.  It just seems to be read very slowly and stilted by someone who doesn't quite understand what they are reading. That, as irritating as it is, doesn't even compare to the accent and acting skills of the lead detective in the movie!!  I think I could do better myself!

One positive I will give the movie is how light and bright it is.  There is no hiding in the dark, no shadowy 'can't quite see whats happening' scenes.  Even the murders take place in bright white light.  Night time scenes are even well illuminated.

The cinematography is excellent in places.  Very well thought out and executed, especially a scene from the viewpoint of the murderer of the house of a lesbian couple who are about to breathe their last.  The panning around of the outside of the building and the roof is very effective and places you right there with the murderer.  I'm sure this was quite difficult to achieve but it is well worth it for the effect.

Unfortunately for me however some nice cinematography of buildings and razors being rinsed don't quite cut it with enjoying a movie.  I wouldn't say this was an awful movie and I would say that a lot of people would enjoy it.  I just don't like this guys style and find that very hard to get past when watching his movies.

Don't feel I wasted my time this week and glad I watched it, but it hasn't elevated my opinion of Dario Argento.


Please use the comments bellow only to comment on this post - to write your own review, please comment on the main post for this movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment