13 Oct 2012

SHOCKTOBER SPECIAL: Toolbox Murders (2004) - Lisa's Review



NOTE: In honour of Halloween, We're taking a break from the DPP list through October to look at some recent remakes.



*** Murder Spoilers ***

When I started watching this weeks movie in a break from our 'Nasties' list in honour of October, 2 things occured to me.  Firstly, this bore very little resemblance to the original Toolbox Murders we reviewed a few weeks ago and secondly I have actually watched this movie before.  I thought it was pretty pants then too.

Don't get me wrong, I've watched worse.  Much, much worse, but this isn't a movie I would recommend you rush out to see or add to your 'Must Watch' list.

I'm not going to write a long review of this one as there are so many things which are left unanswered, are left to individual interpretation (and not in a good way) and just plain don't work, I would be here all night analysing it... and this movie does not deserve the time.
What I will say is that some of the kills are pretty decent, but the additional footage you get on an extra's option are much more cringeworthy.  I mainly refer to the hammer death which pays special attention to hair clumps and fragments attached to the claw of the hammer and the drill death which I quite enjoyed truth be told, especially the undulating head action.

For me a very dull, convoluted movie was made worse by a lead actress who annoyed the arse off me.  I found her irritating, moody, rude and whiny.  I spent most of the time being thankful I could switch off at the end of the movie and never have to look at her miserable face again.

Other characters are weak and one dimensional.  Attempts are made to make then kooky or quirky, but that just didn't work.  You can work out 'who it isn't' while watching the movie, but to be honest, I don't think many people watching this would be making enough sense of proceedings to predict the actual ending.  The 'villain' is just laughable and the back story (or what exists of it) makes absolutely no sense in any respect, but then making no sense was pretty much in keeping with this movie.

In short, it was more watchable than a lot of movies on the Nasties list, but that's sadly little recommendation to go on.

Please use the comments bellow only to comment on this post - to write your own review, please comment on the main post for this movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment